1200-Watt 160-6 Meter
The Ameritron ALS-1306 is 1200-watt PEP nominal output, 160- through 6-meter amateur radio band (1.8-54 MHz) solid-state amplifier. The compact 10″ wide by 6-1/2″ high amplifier package, with a depth of only 18″, fits nearly any station configuration. The attractive desktop amplifier unit weighs only 24 pounds. The ALS-1306 meets or exceeds all FCC requirements governing amateur radio external power amplifiers.
Fan speed is regulated by temperature sensors, assuring conservative cooling with minimal noise. Protection circuitry reduces power as transistors approach conservative thermal limits, and disables the amplifier before the transistors exceed safe operating temperature limits.
The ALS-1306 uses eight 50-volt, conservatively rated, linear RF MOSFETS. These MOSFET’s are primarily designed for linear power amplifier applications, not class-C or pulse service. They provide exceptionally low SSB distortion when compared to most other solid-state devices. Nominal driving power is 100-watts for 1200-watts output (approximately 11 dB gain) on most bands.
T/R (transmit-receive) switching is through a pair of sequenced miniature relays on a plug-in module. The plug in module facilitates relay servicing or maintenance. T/R switching time is approximately five milliseconds. The T/R “Relay” control jack is well within the range of almost any transceiver or radio. The “Relay” jack has an open circuit voltage of 13-volts, and closed circuit current less than 20 mA. Virtually any modern amateur radio will directly key this amplifier.
This amplifier includes full metering using large easy-to-read conventional panel meters.
An external 50-volt 50-ampere regulated power supply powers the ALS-1306. The supply is wired for 240 VAC (200-260 VAC, 50-60 Hz, 15 amperes), but can be rewired for 120 VAC operation for lighter duty operation.
This amplifier provides the following standard features:
- 160- through 6-meter operation, full-power on six meters
- Eight conservative linear-service rated, 50-volt MOSFET transistors
- New push-pull stripline PA layout with exceptional VHF performance
- Energy-efficient solid-state design greatly reduces heat, receive-mode power line draw <100-watts
- Exceptional harmonic suppression
- Operational in a few seconds, no long filament warm-up time
- Clean layout with easy-to-service construction
- Quiet variable-speed forced-air cooling system
- Power module current and voltage meters with LED illumination
- Accurate PEP Forward and PEP Reflected output power metering
- Power module balance metering with PA unbalance protection
- Reflected power protection
- Thermal overload protection
- Bandswitch error protection
- Easy to understand front panel LED indicators for rapid fault-error diagnosis
- Standard negative-going ALC output with front panel adjustment
- ALC metering and ALC LED indicator
- Fully-regulated external power supply
- Compact size 17.5″ deep x 7″ high x 10.5″ wide
- Weight amplifier section 24 pounds